The NSW EPA and Environmental Trust have invited rural and regional councils to apply for a share of $2.5 million in grants to improve landfills across the state.
image

Up to $200,000 is available to local councils through the third round of the Regional Landfill Consolidation and Environmental Improvements program for projects due to commence in 2018 and due for completion by 2019. 

The funding is divided into two streams: Stream 1 is available to councils to consolidate and close landfills and establish transfer stations while Stream 2 is available for improvements including fencing and security measures. Both streams aim to support local councils in improving environmental performance of landfills and minimising the impact on the environment. 

The grant can provide up to 70% of identified project costs, with the remaining 30% covered by council in-kind or financial contributions.

Previous Stream 1 grant recipient Tenterfield Council received $187,000 to close four landfills and establish three supervised transfer stations. 

Under Stream 2, Bourke Council received $44,000 to fence and improve signage at four remote landfills. Gilgandra Shire Council received $55,000 to increase security and prevent unauthorised access and Bogan Shire Council received $49,000 to install fencing to limit access and control litter at the Nyngan Waste Management Facility.