Over 40 per cent of Australians believe workplaces lack recycling options according to new research commissioned by Planet Ark.
This is despite roughly 7 in 10 Australians agreeing recycling at work makes them happy and improves perceptions of employer responsibility. The research conducted by Pollinate was commissioned as part of Planet Ark’s relaunch of the Business Recycling platform, a free service providing recycling information for Australian businesses since 2010.
According to Planet Ark CEO Paul Klymenko, “By merging the platform with Recycling Near You, Australia’s most comprehensive recycling information service, we are creating a national one-stop-shop for recycling information whether at home or work.”
Third of waste from business
Approximately one third of all waste generated in Australia is business waste according to the most recent National Waste Report. It claims that business recycling enables Australian businesses to address their waste while also developing a competitive edge by improving business reputation and efficiency while reducing unnecessary costs.
NSW Energy and Environment Minister Matt Kean said the program was made possible, thanks to funding under the NSW Government’s Waste Less, Recycle More initiative.
“From Bega to Byron, and Swansea to Silverton the NSW Government is committed to reducing waste right across the state, that is why we are investing more than $800 million in the largest waste and recycling program in the country, to support projects like Planet Ark’s Business Recycling platform, that educate businesses on the benefits of boosting recycling efforts not only for the environment but for productivity too,” Kean said.
Key research findings:
- 69 per cent agree that recycling at work makes them happy
- 68 per cent claim workplace recycling services improve perceptions of employer responsibility
- 62 per cent claim that recycling at work is easy and convenient
- 43 per cent of Australians claim there aren’t enough recycling options at work
- 39 per cent of Australians claim their employer does not communicate waste and recycling information well*
- Over 1 million Australians have used Business Recycling since it was launched, with over 3.2 million page views
- Merging Business Recycling and Recycling Near You will result in a further half a million visits per year to the business platform.