Latest News, News, Waste & Resource Recovery

Eurobodalla Shire Council offers extra kerbside services due to landfill fire

The Eurobodalla Shire Council is offering extra kerbside pick-ups to help residents affected by a fire at a Surf Beach waste management facility.

The fire first impacted the facility on December 31 and it was closed for much of January.

On January 24, Eurobodalla Shire mayor Liz Innes said the council is now able to offer households some relief with fire-affected waste.

“I know the community has been frustrated – we’ve all been frustrated,” Innes said.

“Surf Beach tip has been on fire and it’s been a struggle to accommodate the community’s waste, but [the] council staff have been working hard to find solutions and I’m happy we can now give residents some relief.”

The council’s contractors will provide extra kerbside pick-up of green waste for the four weeks between January 27 and February 21.

“During this time, residents can put out their green-lid bins every week for collection,” Innes said.

“Now Surf Beach tip is back in operation, we are able to begin accepting some burnt garden waste or general fire-affected waste.”

From January 25, households could each take a ute or trailer load of leaves and branches, outdoor furniture, garden implements, dog kennels, clothes lines and kids play equipment to the tip with no charge at either Surf Beach or Brou tip.

Eurobodalla Shire Council director of planning Lindsay Usher said the free load applied to fire-affected waste only, otherwise standard tip fees applied. He said trees and branches with a diameter of 20 centimetres or more couldn’t currently be accepted at any of the shire’s tips.

“Surf Beach tip is still affected by fire, and patience will be needed when arriving at the facility,” Usher said.

“There is still limited internet with no EFTPOS, so any payments will need to be cash unless you are an existing account holder.”

Surf Beach and Brou tips returned to normal opening hours on January 25. Moruya is closed until further notice due to fire damage.