French renewable energy company Neoen has secured a 15-year support agreement with the Victorian government, which will see it provide an integrated wind farm and battery storage facility, the Bulgana Green Power Hub (BGPH).

The wind farm and battery storage system will provide reliable and affordable renewable energy to unlock the development of a major new advanced agriculture facility in Stawell, with a total expected investment of $665 million. 

It consists of the construction of a 204.4MW wind farm with Siemens-Gamesa wind turbines and a 20MW/34MWh lithium-ion battery provided by Tesla in the Victorian region of Stawell, which will provide baseload equivalent power to Nectar Farm's glasshouse facility.

The local agribusiness will take up to 15% of BGHP's output, while the remaining 85% will be fed into the power grid.

More than 1300 jobs will be created - including 270 direct ongoing jobs in the agricultural sector and 10 direct ongoing jobs in the renewable energy industry - all located in the Stawell region.

Neoen Australia managing director Franck Woitiez said the company is committed to boosting the local economy and facilitating renewable integrations. 

"This is a major step forward for communities, businesses and the renewable energy industry, and it concludes a year of great achievements for Neoen," Woitiez adds.

The support is a testament to the Victorian government's commitment to meet its Victorian Renewable Energy Target (VRET), emissions reduction pledge and to assist regional economies - policies that have been implemented to ensure that 25% of electricity generated in the state comes from renewable energy by 2020 and regional economies are supported.

Lily D'Ambrosio, Victoria's minister for energy, environment and climate change said this is an exciting initiative delivering a better future for Victoria. 

"We're delivering affordable, secure and clean energy, which is powering new jobs right across our state," D'Ambrosio said.

"This project will reduce greenhouse gas emissions, while helping meet Victoria's renewable energy generation targets."

Bulgana GPH Announcement from Neoen on Vimeo.